Fast Search

Custom Search

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Little things can be big. What?


Been a while, three days without a post. Arrggh!

I was not able to report to work last thursday for my right pinkie finger had an infection and it had shown signs of edema. It all started with a small wound that I acquired about 2 weeks ago; it's so small that I ignored it. Not until last thursday morning that it had shown what it is capable of doing to conquer and destroy my immune system, my health. The images above will show how it looked like that morning. When my girlfriend saw it she immediately suggested that we will go to a doctor to let it be diagnosed before it will get worse. The swelling was reaching the carpal area. So we did go to see a physician. We went to St. Luke's Medical Center.

When the doctor saw what happened to my poor finger she asked me when did I acquire the wound. When I said more than a week ago she told me why only now that I'm going to see a physician for it. It looked like it's a serious case. The physician had informed me that it would be better for me to take oral medications already, not external application, for the infection is getting worse. She had prescribed me a branded anti-biotic for she claimed that it's better than the generic ones. She had also let my finger be X-rayed and requested for a complete blood count (CBC). I didn't expect that I would have to do all those things; but I did. It's good that I have a Maxicare health insurance; I didn't have to shell out some cash to pay for the consultation and laboratory procedures knowing that it's expensive for anything at St. Luke's.

Well, I shelled out some cash though in buying those prescribed medicines. We were shocked when we compared the price of the branded anti-biotics from the price of the generic, it's somewhat doubled. I did not worry about the price of the medicines, I worried about what my finger had. I worried about the infection of the wound. I worried about my immune system that it cannot fight the infection. I can always reimburse what I paid for the medicines though.

It's actually the fourth day for me to be taking in those anti-biotics. The dosage? One capsule every six hours for seven days. My finger is doing fine now. The edema is not their anymore. The wound is drying, healing. However, I still have to complete the seven-days dosage of medication; it's required.

What I learned about this experience is that for us not to underestimate little things, especially when it comes to our health, for little things can cause big effects. In health problems, if the means are available then get hold of them, maximize their usage if possible. Health is wealth remember that.

0 comments:

 

JULZRYU | BASKETBALL | BOXING