Fast Search

Custom Search

Sunday, August 24, 2008

System down...

I was not able to go to the hospital to have my follow-up checkup. I spent most of the time during my 2-days-off fixing the desktop PC at home; I wasn't successful though. Too bad.

For the past few days the computer had been showing a blue-screen error and it kept on restarting. I've seen physical memory dump errors, .dll errors, the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal error, and others. I decided to format the harddrive and reinstall Windows XP however during the installation the computer was still showing errors. I have also tried another hard disk drive (HDD) hoping that everything will be OK but, still, the installation failed.

On Friday I acted as a computer technician; opened the tower and started doing some internal operations. Don this, done that... to no avail. The problem got worse, the computer now is showing a blank display. Arrggh! I slept with a headache; also decided to let it be checked by a 'real' technician.

On Saturday I brought the unit to a nearby computer repair shop. For about two long hours, the two technicians that diagnosed the computer were about to give-up already, I was just waiting for their suggestions. I was actually thinking that it could be a motherboard malfunction. However, we were still hoping that it might be something else besides from the main board. Until they tried replacing the CMOS battery and poof! The unit turned on with a display. The Windows XP installation went thru just fine. I was thankful and shelled out some cash for the repair. I was also advised that I should change the power supply for it may fail anytime. Yeah!

At home, I set-up the internet so that my girlfriend could start sending her several online applications. After browsing for about an hour she called me out, the system restarted again!!! Whatta! Another blue screen. After restarting and used it again for several minutes the computer is rebooting again! Blue screen after blue screen! Busted.

This morning, I've tried turning on the computer again and it was OK; I immediately downloaded and installed BIOS updates. Hoping that it will be fine now, we started surfing the net again; after 10 minutes it went off! Not good; it was worse. So frustrated about it but frustration will not fix the problem. I had some options for it now, it's either I will be replacing the main board or buy another unit; but before doing one of those I will try to change the power supply first. Hmmmm...

I have to grab a coffee first, it's getting cold in here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just buy a new one!

Marie Marcelo said...

kakabwiset noh?! same thing happened to me, but the new power supply fixed the problem... otherwise i agree with coach shei... buy a new one!

 

JULZRYU | BASKETBALL | BOXING